Thursday, April 9, 2009

Cheap Orchids and Rainbows of Ribbon.. What?!?

Yes, exactly. What?!? Where?!? Well, unfortunately, this post isn't talking about Boston.

I had the privilege of recently traveling to Hong Kong and Japan for two weeks, and enjoyed everything from shopping to sight seeing, with tons of eating in between. But, the two things that I wanted to share were actually both in Hong Kong.

There was a flower district in HK that contained more orchids than I have ever seen in my entire life. The kicker of it all was that all of these gorgeous orchid plants in an array of colors were only $5 each, and I couldn't take any home with me! There were some varieties that I had never seen before in my life, and others like the phalaenopsis orchid that I absolutely love (especially the pink ones!). I think that if Boston had orchids priced at $5 each, everyone would have orchids in their homes, at their weddings, and anywhere else you can think of!

In another section of HK, there is an area that is meant for craft lovers. There are literally whole city blocks and blocks just dedicated to selling beads, ribbon, and rhinestones. Then after going though multiple blocks of every variation of ribbon you could ever think of, I started to see buttons! I didn't go much further past the first few stores of buttons, but I could only imagine how many blocks of buttons there were! I heard about this area from a Boston bride, Jen (we're the DOCs for her August 2009 wedding), and she said that when she was browsing through the ribbon in HK, she thought of me! Thanks for giving me directions, Jen! So basically, if Boston had ribbon resources like they do in Hong Kong, I would be in ribbon heaven. *sigh*

As much as I wanted to buy tons of ribbon that day, I actually only ended up purchasing some rhinestones and feathers. It's hard to purchase ribbon to use on projects, because when I run out, I would never be able to get it again unless I fly across the world. But, overall, it was great to get to see and feel everything!

~Emilie

No comments: